Monday 15 July 2013

Field Visit Day 2

So the second field visit was to see the other two water sources for the irrigation project. These were a lot more remote and as you can see from the pictures required some serious trekking.





At the first stream, they had created a rudimentary dam using sandbags but they wanted to build a more substantial one linked to an intake chamber. This is where my GPS machine came in handy as I could take altitude measurements. So we could tell if the damn needed to be higher, although it may be more difficult, if there wasn’t enough pressure at this location.

I just want to add how easy it was to fall over as most of the floor was covered in leaves and debris, you can see below me looking up for picture, not looking at the floor and me almost falling over 





All I could think of during this is that we were just visiting the sites, if construction was to take place material and pipes would have to be transported to these locations. However there was talk of using the rocks around as building materials to reduce the amount needed to be transported to site.
Then it was more jungle walking to reach the second water source



We also visited the farm that belonged to the BAWA technician who accompanied us on these site visits. He seemed very happy with the opportunity to grow during the dry season. Whilst we were there we discussed the different types of irrigation systems that can be used in the farms. I worry that there won’t be a fit all approach as all the farms are set up differently. Also location altitude etc. will be different in each case. 




Finally we were taken to the springs which also form a part of the water supply system for the village. They were describing the measures they take to protect the water sources but I think that the area which needs to be improved in monitoring as many of these places will revert back to farm land if they are not protected, threatening the quality and quality of the water supply. 




Finally after all this engineering here is a picture of me with some giant papayas :D Which I usually have for breakfast, it’s very strange to see most of my food growing around me. I have yet to see a pineapple farm but I’m looking forward to it






2 comments:

  1. So... I think... maybe a new nickname ... Jungle Jo! Love you lots. mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think your last nickname would be unfair after your involvement in such an amazing project! I suggest Hiawatha which means "maker of rivers"
    xx

    ReplyDelete