Wednesday 7 August 2013

An unapologetic western experience

So today we had our weekly day off… and let me tell you it has been epic!

Personally I think me and Chris have been integrating very well with the community. We go to football matches on Sunday, we eat at “four corners” bunched up with the locals, we eat the local food, we follow all the traditions and customs (I can’t even tell you how many times Chris has held a guys hand because that normal here) But today was different.

We met up with Jenifer, a peace core volunteer from the US, who has been in Cameroon now for almost 3 years. We decided to go to Bemenda as she said she knew some “white man” stores. So that’s what we did, we did the touristy gift shopping at prescraft (the only tourist shop) instead of wandering around markets for hours on end. We brought cheese, mustard, pringles and lintt chocolate. We came home and had left over carrot and coriander soup with fresh bread, cheese and mustard instead of cooked meat, plantains and rice. We played cards games like “go fish” and “black jack” whilst eating the Pringles and chocolate. But what was the best was the free flow of conversation, talking about religion, politics, weather, Cameroon, things back home like TV shows, something that only a westerner would know.

It really got me thinking about how much effort I have been putting in with people, I think it’s a lot easier for Chris to talk to people but I have to initiate conversations, as people tend not to talk to women. I have to speak slower and repeat what I’m saying till people understand me (everyone thinks I’m speaking French). Even with our partner organisation, who are originally Portuguese, there are certain words or phrases that we will have to explain or some of our British-isms don’t translate.  


Although I loved today I found myself thinking it was a good experience but not something I wanted to continue to do too often. I can see the appeal of westerners sticking together and the comfort of being with someone who understands you but I don’t want to surround myself with western people even if it’s easier. I like having stilted conversations where I try to describe British public transport or autumn to people. We like walking with people and finding out about their lives and their history. Even if I spend most of my time with Chris who is also a British engineer I feel like we are on the same page with this and we are constantly making friends and talking to other people. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got your pringles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes,on our Sunday visits,i also think you're talking French !!Much love.Jim.

    ReplyDelete