Friday 16 August 2013

Lessons Learnt

So I’m over half way through my project and I think it’s time to share some knowledge about the things I have learnt.

1.       You will always pack the wrong thing - In my head I genuinely thought all of Africa was hot, I packed light clothing and brought loads of sun cream. But it’s rainy season here and quite cool. The one hoodie that my mum forced me to take has been amazing on a cool morning. However saying that, it does get warm around midday enough to break out the sun cream but perhaps bringing 4 bottles was a bit excessive.
2.       You will go OTT on medication - like the packing I was convinced every other day I would be chained to the toilet either chucking up or let’s just say “clearing the bowels” but that hasn’t been the case at all, bar one day where I went off my food after a dodgy lunch I’ve been fine what would have been better is some cold and flu tablets or a hot lemsip.
3.       The restrictions - as I’ve mentioned previously I have been independent for many years being able to get around the UK with no difficulty. Being able to buy whatever I wanted and have a multitude of activities within easy reach to occupy myself. This is defiantly not the case here. You will have restrictions put on you for your safety, probably more than if you were an independent traveller. As if you decide to rent a motorcycle without ever having driven one the only person you have to answer to is yourself (and perhaps your parents). But on a placement  your partner organisation is responsible for you, so if you get injured it might reflect badly of them (as they have to answer to EWB if you get injured).
4.       Living without -If you had to imagine what you could live without back in the UK you could probably go without your favourite food but how about TV, power, internet, water? We have had no water for 3 days now, having to live with filling up containers and using that to wash. Having to manually fill up the toilet so it will flush, having to use a bucket to wash your hands, having to use a jug to wash up. Don’t get me wrong most days everything is fine we have fast internet, water power etc. but on the odd occasion you have to live without.
5.       Problems with Communication – now I’m in an English speaking area so I should be okay right? However not only do the natives speak Bambui, which I have learnt my fist phrase “a-ben wa-a” which means good morning, but most of the English they speak is pigeon. Also when they do speak English they speak with turns of phrase that are completely different to what you’re used to. And when all information is communicated orally this can be a big barrier.
6.       Barriers due to culture and traditions- on one hand this has been amazing to see the traditions of the area and to witness all the things that go on but it also takes a lot of time. If you are on a site visit you may be required to go to someone’s house to great them and their family. If this happens you are required to eat some food and drink something even if you are not hungry or thirsty. This is all part of the relaxed nature of Cameroon where it doesn’t matter how long things take as time to them is infinite. Whereas to us it’s not, we have very little time to complete our projects and we need to get going with our work.
7.       Dealing with the people – The Bambui people are one of the friendliest I have ever met and they genuinely are pleased to meet us. But even with this you have to be ready to adapt and work with people, they will casually say that you should buy them things or give them gifts/money and this is completely normal. You have to realise this and not get frustrated or get annoyed just smile and say perhaps or say nothing. When people ask you to buy things say “no thank you” or “next time”. What is considered rude in the UK is perfectly normal here, like answering the phone during a meeting or picking your nose when you are speaking to someone.  We were once stopped by some youths who created a barrier near our work asking for money as they were fixing the roads. We could have got annoyed or refused but instead we gave them 100 CFA which is about 13p and said good work.


Now again this seems like I’m complaining about my placement but I’m not it’s just that I could never have imagined these things. Although we had a wonderful week in London talking about all these issues it’s very different from experiencing them first hand. Even for seasoned travelers the differences between visiting a place and living and working there are very different.  

2 comments:

  1. More than half way through...time has gone quickly (perhaps not for you though!)Re the hoodie ... don't ever forget "mums know best".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time has flown by, can't believe i've been here 7 weeks! just another 6 weeks to go or 40 days to put it another way.

      Delete