Tuesday 3 September 2013

Reflection

So as my time is coming to an end I thought I would do a reflection of my time here in Cameroon.

So I think for the first time I’m beginning to relax and enjoy myself. Not that I haven’t enjoyed myself, but there was always this looming 90 days away from any comfort that I had known, or basics like showers and food. It was always thinking about what would I do when I got back. However I think now that it’s only 24 days away it feels like everything can wait. To some people this must seem like a long time but when you have only 1 weeks to finish your project, time will definitely fly. It’s almost like if I crave chocolate or cheese I only have 3 more weeks and then I can just go and get them. The only thing that I am concerned about is the fact that I have so little time before I have to go back to university. I'll still be marveling at things like showers and shops and cash points being everywhere! 

I am more concerned about what I’ll miss now, going from longing for the UK to getting nostalgia for Cameroon, WHILST I’M STILL HERE! I suppose this means I have better opportunity to savor the good things. Firstly the absolute freedom (well within a boundary) I can decide on my site visits and plan my work schedule decide on meetings and when I want to have lunch. Even in the evening or when I want a day off, okay I normally have to consult Chris but he is quite complaint. Not having to look after myself, I wake up and my breakfast is usually set out for me to pick and choose from and then I always go out for lunch. Then it’s Fernando's superb cooking for dinner, or possibly a trip out.  In addition my washing and ironing is done for me and I never have to do washing up, well occasionally I do but it’s sporadic at best. As anyone who knows me, knows I hate cooking!

So what about the future 2013 AC (after Cameroon)? Some things I hope will change, I want to be a little bit less superficial, this is probably the longest I’ve ever gone without wearing makeup. Having the choice of 10 items of clothing for 3 months means that you just don’t really care what you look like, favouring practicality over fashion. I hope to keep my slimmer frame, this has been the best diet, remove yourself completely from any junk food and most other types of food lol I also probably walk 1 hour everyday with a very heavy bag . I hope to maintain this (though it will be impossible) and possibly join some good teams back at uni maybe even the girls football team (amateur for sure) and possibly netball. what will probably be more likely is i'll binge on everything I was kept away from and slip into a food coma. 

So what about personal growth/ awareness? I have come to the sad conclusion that I talk too much, I have always been aware that I’m chatty but it’s almost like a disease! Chris has become quite exasperated by me and I do feel sorry for him sometimes. I also realise that although I love helping people there is lots of problems with international aid. I have to admit Reignite is amazing and navigating these tricky waters very well, bringing skills and sustainability to projects rather than just throwing money at it. But I have seen other projects that have had issues and things that should really be done by governments rather than international aid. I think I would like to do something similar again, or even work abroad for a bit but for right now i'm looking forward to my next year in England :D 

1 comment:

  1. Busy week ahead for you with the deadline of completing your project and then enjoy the rest of your time before returning to "normal" life. Lovely to see the flowers growing...what a brilliant idea that was x

    ReplyDelete